San Giorgio Monferrato
Before the year 1000, the village of San Giorgio was given as a fief to important noble families which governed it for many centuries. Since 1200, the residential area has been dominated by the imposing size of the castle, which underwent major restoration work in the nineteenth century, but still kept a small, graceful eighteenth-century chapel attributed to Giovanni Battista Ferroggio, one of architect Filippo Juvarra's pupils. The red neo-Gothic façade, created by architect Bollati, was commissioned by the last marquis of San Giorgio, Felice Gozzani. In 1980, the castle was sold to the Candiani d’ Olivola family, and today it is privately owned.